Diaz Sr. to Attend AIDS Walk in Drag
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 12 2011 11:20 AM ET
Antigay New York state senator Ruben Diaz Sr. may be planning to hold a rally against marriage equality this Sunday, but activist group Queer Rising plans for him also to attend AIDS Walk, in the form of cardboard cut-out wearing drag.
Diaz Sr., a Democrat and outspoken opponent of marriage equality, plans to hold a “March for Morality” in the Bronx at the same time the annual AIDS Walk will be taking place in Manhattan. Guests at the Diaz Sr. rally are expected to include National Organization for Marriage president Brian Brown.
The Village Voice reports that Queer Rising plans to use the opportunity to raise money for HIV/AIDS work by bringing a cardboard cut-out of Diaz Sr. to AIDS Walk with the theme of “Ruben’s Drag Race.” Participants will have the opportunity to take pictures with the figure of the Pentecostal minister, “replete with ‘fabulous costume changes,’” for $1, with proceeds recommended to benefit HIV/AIDS programs specifically in the Bronx.
“Despite the sad reality that the Bronx struggles with one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the country—and the fact that Diaz is himself an ex-intravenous drug user—Diaz devoted his day to entertaining non-constituents, fomenting homophobia and hatred over the imaginary problem of marriage equality, and aiming that hatred towards the LGBT community,” said Queer Rising.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM