Lesbian Sues Sheriff Over Forced "Ex-Gay" Therapy
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 27 2011 7:55 AM ET
In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Georgia, Amanda Booker claims that a sheriff’s department forced her to see “ex-gay” therapists paid by the county rather than take her to mandated psychiatric treatment.
The Georgia Voice reports on the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. district court for the northern district of Georgia against the Bartow County sheriff’s department and others charging violation of constitutional rights.
“Booker alleges in the suit that after her family called the Bartow County Sheriff’s Department in April 2010 to have her committed to a psychiatric hospital due to her drug addiction, the deputies ignored a judge’s order to take her to Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital in Rome, Ga.,” reports the Voice.
Instead, the lawsuit alleges that Booker was taken to a different hospital after she began having seizures. Lt. Mark Mayton of the Bartow sheriff’s department began to harass Booker about her lesbian relationship while she was in the hospital, the suit charges, and upon her release from the hospital, Mayton transported her to his friend’s home in his personal vehicle, where Booker remained for up to one week.
Later, according to the lawsuit as reported by the Voice, Mayton took Booker to the private residence of self-described “evangelists” Chris and Donna McDowell. The couple received $600 in county money to attempt to “convert” Booker from being a lesbian.
The suit seeks an undetermined amount of jury award for the damages Booker claims she suffered from the false arrest and harassment.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM