New AARP Portal for LGBTs 50+
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 06 2011 7:05 PM ET
Acknowledging its numerous gay members, the AARP has launched a new microsite addressing issues specific to older LGBT people.
The website features general news articles as well as specialized ones on personal finance, relationships, travel, health care, retirement planning, care-giving, taxation, employment discrimination, and a variety of other topics, according to an AARP news release. There is an interview with Dan Savage about older people’s influence on his It Gets Better Project, an article on dating for gay men over 50, and a guide to LGBT-friendly vacations. The site also offers an article from the current issue of AARP the Magazine on the impact of HIV on people over 50, plus a 20-part multimedia series AARP did on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.
“We are proud to provide diverse, expert voices on topics that are important to all Americans 50+, including members of the LGBT community," said Hugh Delehanty, senior vice president and editor in chief of AARP's media properties, in the news release. “AARP understands that while all Americans 50+ share the same goals of aging with dignity and peace of mind, each of the communities in our lives offers its own challenges, opportunities and contributions towards helping us get there. We couldn't think of a better way to celebrate national Pride month than to launch this portal, which we hope will help members of the LGBT community and their loved ones get access to important information and relevant insights from experts and each other.”
Find the portal here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 22 min 57 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 59 min 3 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 26 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM