New AARP Portal for LGBTs 50+
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 06 2011 7:05 PM ET
Acknowledging its numerous gay members, the AARP has launched a new microsite addressing issues specific to older LGBT people.
The website features general news articles as well as specialized ones on personal finance, relationships, travel, health care, retirement planning, care-giving, taxation, employment discrimination, and a variety of other topics, according to an AARP news release. There is an interview with Dan Savage about older people’s influence on his It Gets Better Project, an article on dating for gay men over 50, and a guide to LGBT-friendly vacations. The site also offers an article from the current issue of AARP the Magazine on the impact of HIV on people over 50, plus a 20-part multimedia series AARP did on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.
“We are proud to provide diverse, expert voices on topics that are important to all Americans 50+, including members of the LGBT community," said Hugh Delehanty, senior vice president and editor in chief of AARP's media properties, in the news release. “AARP understands that while all Americans 50+ share the same goals of aging with dignity and peace of mind, each of the communities in our lives offers its own challenges, opportunities and contributions towards helping us get there. We couldn't think of a better way to celebrate national Pride month than to launch this portal, which we hope will help members of the LGBT community and their loved ones get access to important information and relevant insights from experts and each other.”
Find the portal here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM