Cain's Cabinet: Muslims Out, Gays In
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2011 10:50 AM ET
Insurgent GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain offered an odd
explanation Monday for why he’d be OK with appointing a gay cabinet
member — gay people, he said, would be opposed to sharia law.
“I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all,” Cain said assuredly in response to a question from a blogger at ThinkProgress. “I just want people who are qualified. I want them to believe in the Constitution of the United States of America. So yep, I don’t have a problem with appointing an openly gay person. Because they’re not going to try to put sharia law in our laws.”
The candidate made the statement after a speech hosted by Family Leader, an antigay group in Iowa, and then quickly moved on, even laughing at his own point.
Perhaps Cain is aware that homosexuality is illegal under sharia law, with the penalty in some countries being death. But he was likely reacting to earlier criticism for saying he wouldn’t appoint a Muslim to his theoretical cabinet. In March he claimed that “there is this creeping attempt” to “gradually ease sharia law and the Muslim faith into our government.”
Not everyone in Cain’s audience at the Family Leader speech agreed with his acceptance of a gay cabinet member. The Des Moines Register reported that although the crowd was receptive to his broader message, some said they were “concerned” about his answer.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 7 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 47 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM