Calif. Legislature Passes Gay Education Bill
BY Neal Broverman
July 05 2011 7:30 PM ET
Following the state Senate's lead, the California Assembly Tuesday passed a bill that requires the contributions of gay people to be part
of public school curricula.
Sponsored by gay senator Mark Leno, the Fair, Accurate, Inclusive, and Respectful Education Act "ensures that the historical contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are accurately and fairly portrayed in instructional materials by adding LGBT people to the existing list of under-represented cultural and ethnic groups already included in the state’s inclusionary education requirements," according to Leno's office. The bill passed the Assembly by a vote of 49-25; it passed the Senate in April and will now head to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk. It's not clear where Brown stands on the bill, but he's generally supportive of gay rights and refused to defend Proposition 8 after the antigay initiative was declared unconstitutional by a federal judge.
Should the bill become law, it would be years before California students are learning about Harvey Milk and Elaine Noble. A statewide committee will draft a framework for the new curriculum and solicit public comment on it, and the State Board of Education and local school districts will make sure that textbooks include events like Stonewall and 1979's March on Washington.
"This bill is in response to the tragedy of bullying and the resulting suicides," Leno told The Advocate recently. "Do we provide or deny information to students so they better understand the broad diversity of the human experience?"
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 40 min 46 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 1 hour 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 39 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 39 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 12:59 PM