Adam Carolla Sorry for Anti-Trans Rant
BY Michelle Garcia
August 15 2011 5:05 PM ET
Comedian Adam Carolla apologized soon after news spread about his transphobic and homophobic rant on a recent episode of his eponymous podcast.
"I'm sorry my comments were hurtful," Carolla said Monday to TMZ. "I'm a comedian, not a politician."
Carolla made several jabs at transgender people during a recent podcast, prompting the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to speak out against the former Man Show and Loveline host.
"Sure, I went to school with a bunch of transgender guys, and now I work with them, but what the fuck? When did we start giving a shit about these people?" he said on the podcast last Thursday.
When discussing the recent flap over whether Sesame Street should let Bert and Ernie marry on the show, Carolla said that gay people should just "get married and shut up." When Alison Rosen, the "news girl" on Carolla's show, further mentioned that LGBT stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, Carolla said LGBT people should instead refer to themselves as "yuck."
Carolla also made a remark about Chaz Bono, who announced last year that he is transgender and had documented his life in transition.
"Every time I see Chaz Bono, my cock looks at me and says, 'What?'" Carolla said.
GLAAD officials alerted the press to the incident Monday and said they were also reaching out to Carolla's listeners, urging them to learn more about discrimination and bullying that LGBT people may face.
“Given his history of antigay and racist comments, networks and advertisers should know what their money is supporting if they choose to hire Adam Carolla,” Herndon Graddick, senior director of programs at GLAAD, said in a statement. “The gross intolerance that he tries to pass off as comedy should not have a place on our airwaves.”
In 2010, the same year he posed for the No H8 campaign (pictured), Carolla said he believes that "a mom and a dad is better than two dads or two moms."
Listen to a portion of Thursday's podcast here.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 42 min 5 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 1 hour 58 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 40 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 41 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 12:59 PM