Dan Savage's Plane to Ex-Gays: You Can't Pray the Gay Away
BY Michelle Garcia
September 09 2011 1:30 PM ET
In a provocative move from the It Gets Better Project, an airplane is scheduled to fly overhead reminding attendees that you can't simply "pray the gay away" during one of the more popular conferences for sexual orientation therapy.
Exodus International's Love Won Out conference is taking place this Saturday at the Sugar Creek Baptist Church, located near Houston. The plane is scheduled to fly over the church, and then around downtown Houston at 1:30 p.m. Saturday telling Exodus and other antigay groups condoning "reparative therapy" that "you can't pray away the gay."
The It Gets Better Project, started a year ago by Dan Savage and his partner Terry Miller, boasts more than 25,000 videos and has raised funds for several LGBT youth foundations, including the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Nework, the Ali Forney Center, the Trevor Project, and the Seth Walsh Project.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 39 min 35 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM