Study: Black Trans People Suffer Extreme Prejudice
BY Neal Broverman
September 16 2011 6:30 PM ET
African-American transgender people may suffer the most discrimination of all LGBT groups, at least according to a recently released supplement to a February report documenting shocking levels of prejudice.
"Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey" came out in February and highlighted disparities in income, health care, and emotional well-being between transgender blacks and other transgender people. The new analysis, provided by research from the National Black Justice Coalition, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, and the National Center for Transgender Equality, finds that African-American trans people are indeed subjected to racial discrimination and transphobia that stymies their participation in society.
According to the findings:
"Black transgender people had an extremely high unemployment rate at 26%, two times the rate of the overall transgender sample and four times the rate of the general population.
"A startling 41% of black respondents said they had experienced homelessness at some point in their lives, more than five times the rate of the general U.S. population.
"Black transgender people lived in extreme poverty with 34% reporting a household income of less than $10,000 per year. This is more than twice the rate for transgender people of all races (15%), four times the general black population rate (9%), and eight times the general U.S. population rate (4%).
"Black transgender people were affected by HIV in devastating numbers. More than one-fifth of respondents were living with HIV (20.23%), compared to a rate of 2.64% for transgender respondents of all races, 2.4% for the general Black population, and 0.60% of the general U.S. population."
Click here to find out more.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM