New Hampshire Father Has One Question for the GOP
BY Lucas Grindley
November 01 2011 8:37 PM ET
While Republicans focus their effort to overturn marriage equality in New Hampshire, one of the state's rank-and-file Republicans is calling on them to consider his family's story.
"Members of my political party and others know me to be a conservative who believes in God, liberty and family values," wrote JP Marzullo, a vice chairman of the Contoocook Valley Republican Party, in the Concord Monitor. "What most of you do not know is that I have a gay son."
Marzullo called on fellow Republicans to consider one question while deciding whether to overturn New Hampshire's marriage equality law: "If you knew your child was gay would you disown him or her?"
The GOP doesn't appear to be answering that question the way Marzullo had hoped. Although the lawmaker who had sponsored a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage is stepping back from his proposal, the Associated Press reports he's only doing it to ensure there are no distractions from passing a repeal of the state's marriage equality law, enacted two years ago by Democrats. That repeal proposal was approved by a committee earlier this week, clearing the way for it to be voted on by the full House, followed by the Senate.
Retiring Democratic Gov. John Lynch has sworn to veto the proposal if it reaches his desk, potentially setting up a struggle over a veto override.
The wider Republican Party also seems to have an answer to Marzullo's question. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who is campaigning for president in the state, said in a speech last week that New Hampshire lawmakers should pass the repeal.
Marzullo tried in his letter to get Republicans to relate to his family, to realize that not disowning your son also means wanting him to live the fullest possible life.
"He is just like your son," Marzullo wrote. "And like your family, we want to leave him a better country and life, and that includes the same rights as married couples. I believe in freedom for everyone. We are blessed to live in a state where we can all be free to pursue our own happiness."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2 hours 5 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2 hours 7 min ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2 hours 7 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 2 hours 36 min ago