Justin Bieber: Is a Gay Ally Emerging?
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 08 2011 7:50 PM ET
After a double win at the European Music Awards on Sunday, pop sensation Justin Bieber escaped his ardent female fans by dashing into the Kremlin, a gay bar in Belfast with girlfriend Selena Gomez. And that little stop has generated surprised headlines internationally.
intentional or not, Bieber’s career includes a developing yet substantial set of moments as an LGBT ally.
Last October, Bieber was involved in a skirmish with a teen male, who called him a “faggot.” The following month Bieber appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to discuss the incident. “Everybody goes through bullying,” he told her. “Everybody has, even me. On my YouTube page, there are so many haters. They just say crazy stuff. I’m not mad, I’m 16 and I don’t have chest hair. I’m not angry about it at the moment. That will come. People are like, ‘Look at him, he puts helium in his voice before he sings.’ You just have to laugh at yourself. It’s funny.” Bieber later taped an It Gets Better PSA,
saying, “I just wanted to say there’s nothing cool about being a bully.
And if you’re getting bullied, make sure to tell someone and, you know,
it gets better. And if you’re a bystander, make sure to step in and, you
know, help out.”
Last February, he shared his view on homosexuality with Rolling Stone, saying, “It doesn’t affect me and shouldn’t affect anyone else.” Last March, Bieber donated locks of his hair to Perez Hilton so the blogger could auction them off to raise money for Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, an organization that works for positive change in schools.
And then there’s his growing lesbian fan base. The website Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber has more than 200 pages of photos of shaggy-haired same-sex-loving women who resemble the teen heartthrob. And earlier this week veteran musician k.d. lang appeared on an Australian talk show, and when asked if she thinks Bieber is hot, she replied that he “looks like a lesbian,” and therefore he’s “hot as shit.”
Multiple entertainment outlets and bloggers covered the story of Bieber's night at a gay club, originally reported by the U.K. paper The Sun,
and many seemed surprised that the 17-year-old escaped “thousands” of screaming females (not to mention a rough week
that found him accused by a fan of fathering her child) by popping into
the popular Northern Ireland gay bar.
Watch Bieber's antibullying message below.
- WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 19 min 44 sec ago
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 26 min 31 sec ago
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM