$1M at Stake for Matthew Shepard Foundation
BY Neal Broverman
December 07 2011 2:40 PM ET
The Matthew Shepard Foundation, the LGBT charity begun by Judy and Dennis Shepard in honor of their son, is vying for a $1 million philanthropic award from Chase Bank — and the foundation needs your help to win it.
Chase partnered with Facebook for the Chase Community Giving effort, which has raised tens of millions of dollars for charities, with money awarded based on votes from Facebook users. This year the Wyoming-based Matthew Shepard Foundation is one of five organizations that could win $1 million for their efforts; the foundation was selected from a list of 25 previous CCG recipients "with the help of some of Chase's online customers as well as CCG Facebook fans," according to a press release from the Matthew Shepard Foundation.
Voting lasts until December 8. While you can only vote once each day, if you are a Chase customer and have an online
account, you may also
vote one more time at Chase.com during the same voting period. The Chase results will be announced during an NBC broadcast of the American Giving Awards on December 10.
The Matthew Shepard Foundation plans to use the Chase funds to tackle school bullying by developing online teaching materials and exercises that could be used throughout the nation's classrooms. Click here to help the foundation achieve its mission.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 36 min 35 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 32 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 6 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 7 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM