Wash. Catholic Bishops: Marriage Equality Would Undermine Families
BY Trudy Ring
January 17 2012 6:25 PM ET
As Washington governor Chris Gregoire and state legislators push for marriage equality, the state’s Roman Catholic leaders are pushing back.
In a letter published late Friday on the Seattle archdiocese’s website, Washington State’s four Catholic bishops call on members of the faith to contact lawmakers and urge them to “defend the current definition of marriage,” the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports.
The bishops say that only heterosexual marriage should be legally recognized because it is “related to bringing children into the world and the continuation of the human race.” There are “forces already undermining family life today,” and recognizing other unions would exacerbate the situation, they write. They also say that limiting marriage to straight couples “does not depend on anyone’s religious beliefs” and that this definition of marriage “is grounded not in faith, but in reason and the experience of society.” The letter was signed by (pictured, clockwise from top left) J. Peter Sartain, Blase Cupich, Eusebio Elizondo, and Joseph J. Tyson.
State senator Ed Murray, who is both gay and Catholic, objected strongly to the letter, the paper reports. “My first reaction, as a practicing Catholic, is that this is very hurtful,” said Murray, chief sponsor of the state’s marriage equality legislation. A total of 23 senators introduced the bill Friday. Governor Gregoire, also a Catholic, requested the legislation and has spoken out in its favor.
Read more here.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM