Christie Nominates Gay Republican to N.J. Supreme Court
January 23 2012 3:51 PM ET
New Jersey governor Chris Christie has nominated a gay Republican mayor to the state Supreme Court.
The Republican governor announced the nomination of Bruce Harris, mayor of Chatham, N.J., at an 11:30 a.m. press conference.
Steven Goldstein, executive director of the state LGBT rights group Garden State Equality, said of a call from Christie prior to the announcement, "You could have picked me up off the floor."
“[Harris] will become the first openly LGBT person in history, and the third African-American person in history, to serve on the New Jersey Supreme Court,” Goldstein said in a statement. “Most importantly, Bruce is eminently qualified to be a Supreme Court justice.”
Goldstein told The Advocate that he did not see the nomination as an indication that Christie is supporting a marriage equality bill currently before state legislators, however. Christie has vowed to veto such legislation in the past, though in recent statements he has appeared increasingly noncommittal about doing so.
But of the nomination, Goldstein said, “It’s unbelievable news, an unequivocal [example] of civil rights leadership, and the governor should be warmly congratulated.”
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM