Christie Nominates Gay Republican to N.J. Supreme Court
January 23 2012 2:51 PM ET
New Jersey governor Chris Christie has nominated a gay Republican mayor to the state Supreme Court.
The Republican governor announced the nomination of Bruce Harris, mayor of Chatham, N.J., at an 11:30 a.m. press conference.
Steven Goldstein, executive director of the state LGBT rights group Garden State Equality, said of a call from Christie prior to the announcement, "You could have picked me up off the floor."
“[Harris] will become the first openly LGBT person in history, and the third African-American person in history, to serve on the New Jersey Supreme Court,” Goldstein said in a statement. “Most importantly, Bruce is eminently qualified to be a Supreme Court justice.”
Goldstein told The Advocate that he did not see the nomination as an indication that Christie is supporting a marriage equality bill currently before state legislators, however. Christie has vowed to veto such legislation in the past, though in recent statements he has appeared increasingly noncommittal about doing so.
But of the nomination, Goldstein said, “It’s unbelievable news, an unequivocal [example] of civil rights leadership, and the governor should be warmly congratulated.”
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 59 min 59 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 44 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 18 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM