State Dept. Denounces Russian Antigay Bill
BY Trudy Ring
February 09 2012 7:10 PM ET
U.S. State Department officials today expressed opposition to a proposed law in St. Petersburg, Russia, that would prohibit public speech or events concerning LGBT issues.
We are concerned by proposed local legislation in Russia that would severely restrict freedoms of expression and assembly for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals, and indeed all Russians,” reads a statement issued by the department in response to a question raised at yesterday’s White House press briefing. It makes reference to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s recent speech before the United Nations, saying, “As Secretary Clinton has said, gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights.
The city legislature of St. Petersburg, the second-largest city in Russia, this week gave the second of three required approvals to a measure that would “public activities promoting homosexuality,” including LGBT pride events, and impose a fine on violators. It is likely to come up for a third vote next week, and supporters of the bill are threatening to push for similar legislation nationwide.
“We have called on Russian officials to safeguard these freedoms, and to foster an environment which promotes respect for the rights of all citizens,” the State Department response continues. “We have also consulted with our EU partners on this issue. They share our concerns and are also engaging Russian officials on this. The United States places great importance on combating discrimination against the LGBT community and all minority groups.”
The State Department has spoken out against the proposed legislation previously, but Russian officials objected to what they called “attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM