Matt Bomer Acknowledges Partner, Family
BY Jeremy Kinser
February 13 2012 6:59 PM ET
Actor Matt Bomer acknowledged his partner, Simon, and their children, and said "his world has been rocked" by research for his role in the upcoming film adaptation of The Normal Heart.
While accepting the Steve Chase Foundation's New Generation Arts and Activism Award in Palm Springs, Calif., Saturday for his dedication in the fight against HIV/AIDS, the charismatic White Collar star thanked his partner, publicist Simon Halls, and their three children. "I'd really especially like to thank my beautiful family: Simon, Kit, Walker, Henry," he said at the podium. "Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love is. You will always be my proudest accomplishment."
Bomer and Halls were also listed together as part of a host committee in the program for a Family Equality Council event that was held Saturday in Los Angeles.
The actor, who will soon guest as the brother of Darren Criss's character on an episode of Glee, will also appear with George Clooney and Jesse Tyler Ferguson in the March 3 staged reading of Dustin Lance Black's play 8, which is adapted from transcripts of the landmark Proposition 8 trial that made same-sex marriage illegal. Last September, in an email interview with The Advocate, Bomer expressed why the subject matter is so important. "I feel that the generations to come will view this time period in terms of civil rights for the LGBT community as pretty sad and unnecessary," he said. "And I know that in my lifetime, everyone American will have the right to legally marry the person they choose and that it will be recognized federally as well as by the state."
Bomer will appear this summer as a dancer in Steven Soderbergh's comedy Magic Mike and will later star in director Ryan Murphy's adaptation of Larry Kramer's Tony Award-winning play The Normal Heart, which chronicles the early years of the AIDS epidemic in New York City.
Watch video of Bomer's speech below.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 19 min 31 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 27 min 42 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 31 min 19 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 46 min 33 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 54 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM