Texas Senate Candidate: Gays "Have to Answer to the Lord"
BY Neal Broverman
February 23 2012 3:10 PM ET
During a primary debate for GOP candidates vying to replace retiring Texas U.S. senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Craig James chastised a politician for marching in a Pride parade, said being gay is a choice, and declared LGBT people will "have to answer to the Lord."
At the Wednesday debate in Dallas, James, a retired sports analyst, chastised former Dallas mayor Tom Leppert for marching in a Pride parade.
"I think right now in this country, our moral fiber is sliding down a slope that is going to be hard to stop if we don’t stand up with leaders who don’t go ride in gay parades," James said, according to reports. "I can assure you I will never ride in a gay parade."
When the moderator asked James if he believed gay people choose their sexual orientation, he responded by saying, "I think that you have to make that choice. But in that case right there, they are going to have to answer to the Lord for their actions. We should not give benefits to those civil unions."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM