Poll: Record Support for Marriage in California
February 29 2012 12:02 PM ET
Support for marriage equality in the nation’s most populous state has a reached a record high, according to a Field Poll released Wednesday.
The poll of about 1,000 California voters finds 59% in favor of marriage rights for same-sex couples, with 34% opposed.
This division of sentiment is nearly a complete reversal of the findings from the first time The Field Poll began measuring Californians’ attitudes toward same-sex marriage in 1977. At that time, 59% disapproved and 28% were in favor....
Very large or sizeable majorities of sub-groups of the state’s electorate now supports allowing same-sex marriage. These include voters in each of the four major regions of the state, Democrats, non-partisans, middle-of-the-road and liberal voters, young and middle age groups, men and women, white non-Hispanics, married as well as single voters, Catholics, voters affiliated with non- Christian religions, and those with no religious preference.
Sentiment on this issue is mixed among voters age 65 and older, African-Americans and Protestants.
Republicans and political conservatives are the only major blocs where majorities are opposed to gays and lesbians marrying.
Full results of the poll here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 52 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 28 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 2 hours 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM