Van Jones: Even If Obama Were Gay, He'd Still Win the Black Vote
BY Lucas Grindley
April 03 2012 4:08 PM ET
Former White House adviser Van Jones doesn't see a penalty for President Obama among black voters if he changes his position to support marriage equality.
"Do you think that President Obama would lose some of the black vote if, in fact he did come out in support of gay marriage?" asked MSNBC anchor Alex Wagner.
“I think if President Obama came out as gay, he wouldn't lose the black vote," Jones joked. "President Obama is not going to lose the black vote no matter what he does."
Jones was commenting during a debate about the National Organization for Marriage's strategy of driving a wedge between black and LGBT voters. The New York Times wrote a scathing op-ed today condemning NOM for what the editorial board called a "divide and discriminate" strategy.
The Times called on Republican leaders to distance themselves from NOM and its race-baiting strategy.
"Now that the group’s poisonous political approach is out in the open, Mr. Romney and the others should be racing to make clear their disapproval," the Times wrote. "We detect no stampede."
Van Jones doesn't think NOM's strategy will be effective.
"It's just kind of nuts," he told Wagner. "I think you can play to that segment, but I don't think it shows up at the ballot box at all."
Watch the entire discussion in the video below. The Jones comment comes at about 3:45 minutes in.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 6 min 40 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 45 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 20 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 22 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 51 min ago