Sweden: Man Escapes Rape Charge for Transgender Victim
BY Michelle Garcia
July 05 2012 5:57 PM ET
A Swedish man who was on trial for attempting to rape a woman has received a lighter sentence after it was discovered the victim he was accused of assaulting is a transgender woman.
When the 61-year-old suspect attempted to rape the transgender woman, he was unaware that she was transgender and that she lacked female genitalia. According to The Local, the offender followed the woman and then brutally beat her, ripped off her pants, and grabbed her crotch. Her ex-boyfriend could see the assault happening from his home, so he ran out to stop the attack.
Judge Dan Sjöstedt of the Örebro District Court said the "intended crime never had the possibility of being fulfilled," so the man was instead convicted of assault.
"We believe that he wanted to rape this woman in particular," the judge said, "but as she turned out to be a man, the crime never was actually committed." He then deemed the rape argument invalid.
The perpetrator was sentenced to four months in prison and ordered to pay 15,000 kronor in damages to the woman.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM