Russian Foreign Minister Defends Propaganda Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
February 26 2013 3:33 PM ET
After the Dutch government and the European Union condemned Russia's proposed legislation banning "homosexual propaganda," Russia's foreign minister said his country is not obligated to follow their lead.
"We don't have a single international or common European commitment to allow propaganda of homosexuality," Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said according to the Associated Press.
The nation-wide bill, which follows similar, controversial legislation for the city of St. Petersburg, Russia, would ban so-called propaganda aimed at minors, and fine people up to $16,000 for disseminating LGBT-related information to young people.
Lavrov said homosexuality has been decriminalized in Russia, so gay people can "go about their business absolutely freely and unpunished." He added that the country, however, has "its own moral, religious, and historical views." Still many Russians and people around the world have condemned the legislation, and Russian news outlets have covered discrimination and adversities faced by the country's LGBT population.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 38 min 7 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM