Russian Foreign Minister Defends Propaganda Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
February 26 2013 3:33 PM ET
After the Dutch government and the European Union condemned Russia's proposed legislation banning "homosexual propaganda," Russia's foreign minister said his country is not obligated to follow their lead.
"We don't have a single international or common European commitment to allow propaganda of homosexuality," Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said according to the Associated Press.
The nation-wide bill, which follows similar, controversial legislation for the city of St. Petersburg, Russia, would ban so-called propaganda aimed at minors, and fine people up to $16,000 for disseminating LGBT-related information to young people.
Lavrov said homosexuality has been decriminalized in Russia, so gay people can "go about their business absolutely freely and unpunished." He added that the country, however, has "its own moral, religious, and historical views." Still many Russians and people around the world have condemned the legislation, and Russian news outlets have covered discrimination and adversities faced by the country's LGBT population.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 31 min 16 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM