Putin: Tchaikovsky Was Gay? So What?
BY Michelle Garcia
September 04 2013 12:20 PM ET
Russian president Vladimir Putin said Russian people don't care that famed composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was gay. They just like his music.
"They say that Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was a homosexual," he told the Associated Press a wide-ranging interview with the Associated Press. "Truth be told, we don't love him because of that, but he was a great musician and we all love his music. So what?"
As filmmaker Yuri Arabov plans a documentary around the composer's life, he said he would not focus on Tchaikovsky's sexual orientation. He told The New York Times that "it is far from a fact that Tchaikovsky was a homosexual." While the history of Tchaikovsky's sexuality has been suppressed in Russia by the Soviets, newly discovered letters and diaries provide evidence that the composer, who died in 1893, was indeed gay.
Putin also mentioned that he often works with gay people, despite his country's ban on so-called LGBT propaganda, which he signed into law.
"I assure you that I work with these people," he said. "I sometimes award them with state prizes or decorations for their achievements in various fields. We have absolutely normal relations, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary here."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 37 min 39 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 54 min 44 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 3 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 28 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 31 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 4 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 2 hours 8 min ago