Putin: Tchaikovsky Was Gay? So What?
BY Michelle Garcia
September 04 2013 12:20 PM ET
Russian president Vladimir Putin said Russian people don't care that famed composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was gay. They just like his music.
"They say that Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was a homosexual," he told the Associated Press a wide-ranging interview with the Associated Press. "Truth be told, we don't love him because of that, but he was a great musician and we all love his music. So what?"
As filmmaker Yuri Arabov plans a documentary around the composer's life, he said he would not focus on Tchaikovsky's sexual orientation. He told The New York Times that "it is far from a fact that Tchaikovsky was a homosexual." While the history of Tchaikovsky's sexuality has been suppressed in Russia by the Soviets, newly discovered letters and diaries provide evidence that the composer, who died in 1893, was indeed gay.
Putin also mentioned that he often works with gay people, despite his country's ban on so-called LGBT propaganda, which he signed into law.
"I assure you that I work with these people," he said. "I sometimes award them with state prizes or decorations for their achievements in various fields. We have absolutely normal relations, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary here."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM