Russian Actor: Gays Should Be Burned Alive in Ovens
BY Michelle Garcia
December 14 2013 3:07 PM ET
The star of a popular Russian sitcom said that gay people in his country should be burned alive in ovens, to which the studio audience cheered.
Ivan Okhlobystin, star of a Russian show loosely based on the American show Scrubs, used gay slurs, and ranted about gay fascism in front of a crowd of fans during a spiritual event in Novosibirsk.
"I'd put them all alive in the oven…it's a living danger to my children," Ria Novosti reports him saying. His additional comments that gay people are a danger to his six children, and should be stripped of their rights to vote garnered overwhelming applause, according to Buzzfeed.
Okhlobystin previously served as an Orthodox Christian priest until his priesthood was suspended in 2010. He also made a bid for the presidency in 2011.
After news of his statements grew, Okhlobystin tweeted that he received death threats from "sodomites," according to Buzzfeed.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 15 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 54 min 55 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 1 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 33 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 40 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 22 min ago