Russian Actor: Gays Should Be Burned Alive in Ovens
BY Michelle Garcia
December 14 2013 3:07 PM ET
The star of a popular Russian sitcom said that gay people in his country should be burned alive in ovens, to which the studio audience cheered.
Ivan Okhlobystin, star of a Russian show loosely based on the American show Scrubs, used gay slurs, and ranted about gay fascism in front of a crowd of fans during a spiritual event in Novosibirsk.
"I'd put them all alive in the oven…it's a living danger to my children," Ria Novosti reports him saying. His additional comments that gay people are a danger to his six children, and should be stripped of their rights to vote garnered overwhelming applause, according to Buzzfeed.
Okhlobystin previously served as an Orthodox Christian priest until his priesthood was suspended in 2010. He also made a bid for the presidency in 2011.
After news of his statements grew, Okhlobystin tweeted that he received death threats from "sodomites," according to Buzzfeed.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- A Letter to My Partners
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 45 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 52 min 9 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 55 min 10 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 17 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 30 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 43 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 46 min ago