Rick Perry Praises Human Shield Against Westboro Protesters
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 12:15 PM ET
Texas Governor Rick Perry has commended 650 members of the Texas A&M community who organized a human shield to block Westboro Baptist Church antigay protesters at the funeral of Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale, reports BuzzFeed.
The late soldier is a Texas A&M graduate, as is the conservative governor. "Texas A&M has a long history with our nation's armed forces, so it's no surprise Aggies would rally behind a fallen service member and his family," Lucy Nashed, Perry's spokeswoman tells the site.
Last Thursday approximately 650 people turned out last week to create a protective maroon wall around the funeral of Tisdale to prevent from Westboro picketers, who often protest soldiers' funerals with unrelated antigay messages.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School