Rick Perry Praises Human Shield Against Westboro Protesters
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 11:15 AM ET
Texas Governor Rick Perry has commended 650 members of the Texas A&M community who organized a human shield to block Westboro Baptist Church antigay protesters at the funeral of Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale, reports BuzzFeed.
The late soldier is a Texas A&M graduate, as is the conservative governor. "Texas A&M has a long history with our nation's armed forces, so it's no surprise Aggies would rally behind a fallen service member and his family," Lucy Nashed, Perry's spokeswoman tells the site.
Last Thursday approximately 650 people turned out last week to create a protective maroon wall around the funeral of Tisdale to prevent from Westboro picketers, who often protest soldiers' funerals with unrelated antigay messages.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM