Rick Perry Praises Human Shield Against Westboro Protesters
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 12:15 PM ET
Texas Governor Rick Perry has commended 650 members of the Texas A&M community who organized a human shield to block Westboro Baptist Church antigay protesters at the funeral of Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale, reports BuzzFeed.
The late soldier is a Texas A&M graduate, as is the conservative governor. "Texas A&M has a long history with our nation's armed forces, so it's no surprise Aggies would rally behind a fallen service member and his family," Lucy Nashed, Perry's spokeswoman tells the site.
Last Thursday approximately 650 people turned out last week to create a protective maroon wall around the funeral of Tisdale to prevent from Westboro picketers, who often protest soldiers' funerals with unrelated antigay messages.
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Comedian's Billboard Taunts Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- WATCH: Which State's Marriage Equality Proposal Will Make SCOTUS Say 'I Do?'