Family Equality Council Asks Politicians to Support All Families
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 30 2012 6:44 PM ET
The Family Equality Council, a national advocacy and support organization for LGBT parents and their children, called on political candidates across the spectrum to endorse LGBT "family values" in a report released Wednesday.
Modern Families: Ensuring the American Dream for All Families highlights 10 areas the council considers vital to the inclusion of all families in 2012 political platforms. Those areas include employment protections, with moves such as passing the Employment Non-Discrimination Act; relationship recognition in the form of repealing the so-called Defense of Marriage Act; inclusive language defining family; immigration reform; and more.
"Every American, regardless of their background of station in life, should have the opportunity to realize the American dream," Family Equality Council executive director Jennifer Chrisler said in a press release. "In releasing this platform, we are sending a powerful message to would-be leaders in all political parties — we refuse to allow our families to be rendered invisible by party platforms, political posturing, or public policy. It's time for politicians who talk 'family values' to truly value families."
The entire report, complete with suggested action items, is available online.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 39 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 35 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM