Family Equality Council Asks Politicians to Support All Families
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 30 2012 6:44 PM ET
The Family Equality Council, a national advocacy and support organization for LGBT parents and their children, called on political candidates across the spectrum to endorse LGBT "family values" in a report released Wednesday.
Modern Families: Ensuring the American Dream for All Families highlights 10 areas the council considers vital to the inclusion of all families in 2012 political platforms. Those areas include employment protections, with moves such as passing the Employment Non-Discrimination Act; relationship recognition in the form of repealing the so-called Defense of Marriage Act; inclusive language defining family; immigration reform; and more.
"Every American, regardless of their background of station in life, should have the opportunity to realize the American dream," Family Equality Council executive director Jennifer Chrisler said in a press release. "In releasing this platform, we are sending a powerful message to would-be leaders in all political parties — we refuse to allow our families to be rendered invisible by party platforms, political posturing, or public policy. It's time for politicians who talk 'family values' to truly value families."
The entire report, complete with suggested action items, is available online.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM