Family Equality Council Asks Politicians to Support All Families
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 30 2012 5:44 PM ET
The Family Equality Council, a national advocacy and support organization for LGBT parents and their children, called on political candidates across the spectrum to endorse LGBT "family values" in a report released Wednesday.
Modern Families: Ensuring the American Dream for All Families highlights 10 areas the council considers vital to the inclusion of all families in 2012 political platforms. Those areas include employment protections, with moves such as passing the Employment Non-Discrimination Act; relationship recognition in the form of repealing the so-called Defense of Marriage Act; inclusive language defining family; immigration reform; and more.
"Every American, regardless of their background of station in life, should have the opportunity to realize the American dream," Family Equality Council executive director Jennifer Chrisler said in a press release. "In releasing this platform, we are sending a powerful message to would-be leaders in all political parties — we refuse to allow our families to be rendered invisible by party platforms, political posturing, or public policy. It's time for politicians who talk 'family values' to truly value families."
The entire report, complete with suggested action items, is available online.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 33 min 42 sec ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 34 min 57 sec ago
- World News WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy 42 min 3 sec ago
- Crime Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York 53 min 29 sec ago
- Sports IOC Head Warns Athletes Against Protesting in Sochi 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Australia's First Same-Sex Spouses 1 hour 21 min ago
- Media Should Edie Windsor Be Time's Person of the Year? 1 hour 34 min ago