WATCH: Reid Blasts GOP for Blaming Gays on Immigration Bill Resistance
BY Neal Broverman
February 03 2013 6:00 PM ET
Appearing on ABC's This Week on Sunday morning, Senate majority leader Harry Reid defended same-sex binational couples and worried that Republicans would use their plight to kill immigration reform.
Host George Stephanopoulos said to Reid, "One of the other big issues, the president says he wants gays and lesbians to be able to have a family preference. [GOP] Senator [John] McCain has said we shouldn't gum up the legislation with what he calls 'social issues.'"
Reid's response: "If we have gay folks in this country who have children or they come from some other place, they should be protected just like any other child."
Stephanopoulos said that's the position Republicans are saying is "too heavy to lift."
"If they're looking for an excuse not to support this legislation," Reid said, "this is another one, but the American people are past excuses. They want this legislation passed."
Click here to read the full transcript. Watch the interview below.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves