WATCH: Reid Blasts GOP for Blaming Gays on Immigration Bill Resistance
BY Neal Broverman
February 03 2013 5:00 PM ET
Appearing on ABC's This Week on Sunday morning, Senate majority leader Harry Reid defended same-sex binational couples and worried that Republicans would use their plight to kill immigration reform.
Host George Stephanopoulos said to Reid, "One of the other big issues, the president says he wants gays and lesbians to be able to have a family preference. [GOP] Senator [John] McCain has said we shouldn't gum up the legislation with what he calls 'social issues.'"
Reid's response: "If we have gay folks in this country who have children or they come from some other place, they should be protected just like any other child."
Stephanopoulos said that's the position Republicans are saying is "too heavy to lift."
"If they're looking for an excuse not to support this legislation," Reid said, "this is another one, but the American people are past excuses. They want this legislation passed."
Click here to read the full transcript. Watch the interview below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM