Jindal Doesn't Believe GOP Needs to Embrace Gay Rights
BY Neal Broverman
February 25 2013 12:21 PM ET
Louisiana's Republican governor Bobby Jindal and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman are not on the same page when it comes to marriage equality. The latter believes same-sex marriage should be legal and that resistance to it is hampering the Republican party; Jindal does not believe resistance to gay rights is weighing the GOP down.
Huntsman recently came out in support of marriage equality, saying the party will not be embraced by all if they continue to drag their feet on the issue. Speaking on NBC's Meet the Press this weekend, Jindal reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage and said voters care about economics more than marriage.
"Look, I believe in the traditional definition of marriage," Jindal said. "We lost [the 2012 election] because we didn’t present a vision showing how we believe the entire economy can grow, how people can join the middle class. We’re in aspirational party and we need policies that are consistant with that aspirational private sector growth."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM