Jindal Doesn't Believe GOP Needs to Embrace Gay Rights
BY Neal Broverman
February 25 2013 1:21 PM ET
Louisiana's Republican governor Bobby Jindal and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman are not on the same page when it comes to marriage equality. The latter believes same-sex marriage should be legal and that resistance to it is hampering the Republican party; Jindal does not believe resistance to gay rights is weighing the GOP down.
Huntsman recently came out in support of marriage equality, saying the party will not be embraced by all if they continue to drag their feet on the issue. Speaking on NBC's Meet the Press this weekend, Jindal reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage and said voters care about economics more than marriage.
"Look, I believe in the traditional definition of marriage," Jindal said. "We lost [the 2012 election] because we didn’t present a vision showing how we believe the entire economy can grow, how people can join the middle class. We’re in aspirational party and we need policies that are consistant with that aspirational private sector growth."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 2 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 58 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 14 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM