Bryan Fischer Thinks DOMA's Death Is a Bigger Travesty Than Trayvon Martin's
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 15 2013 12:16 PM ET
Bryan Fischer, the noted homophobe, conservative radio host, and director of issues analysis for the antigay American Family Association, is no stranger to outlandishly antigay statements. But this weekend, the right-wing pundit managed to connect recent progress toward LGBT equality with the controversial "not guilty" verdict delivered to George Zimmerman in his murder trial for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
While citizens shocked by the Zimmerman verdict rallied in largely peaceful demonstrations around the country, Fischer also spent his weekend mourning — not the death of an unarmed teenager, but rather the death of laws that prohibited loving, committed Americans from marrying the person they love.
Fischer connected the two in a Tweet on Sunday:
For example of injustice, don't look at Zimmerman. Look at what Supreme Court did on DOMA, Prop 8. There's your travesty.
— Bryan Fischer (@BryanJFischer) July 14, 2013
Fischer frequently contends that legal marriage equality will lead to legalized polygamy, pedophilia, and bestiality. Earlier this month, Fischer said that a New Yorker cover depicting a silhouette of Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie in a loving embrace was tantamount to child abuse.
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around The World 0 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Get HIV if I’m a Top? 12 min 29 sec ago
- Media How to Get a Job With Nate Silver 1 hour 45 min ago
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 7:00 AM
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM