BY Andy Mangels
October 23 2005 11:00 PM ET
Queer Fear and Queer Fear II, edited by Michael Rowe
(Arsenal)—Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and ghouls
mingle with boys and girls in these two collections,
featuring over 40 stories that range from scary to
Daughters of Darkness: Lesbian Vampire Stories and
Dark Angels: Lesbian Vampire Stories,
edited by Pam Keesey (Cleis)—Sink your teeth
into two anthologies of tales ranging from gothic to kinky
to futuristic fright, from grrrls, dykes, guys, and
Bending the Landscape: Horror—Original Gay and
Lesbian Writing, edited by Nicola Griffith and
Stephen Pagel (Overlook)—This anthology
features more fantasy and irony than most, in 17 tales that
feature sex and scares.
Vampire Vow and Vampire Thrall by Michael
Schiefelbein (Alyson)—This well-written (but
also blasphemous) duology follows a vampire who once
hit on Jesus Christ, then became a bloodsucking monk
determined to destroy the priesthood by murder and
Escape From Fire Island by James H. English
(Quirk)—A hilariously campy story that allows
you to choose your own ending when zombie drag queens
attack Fire Island.
Call of the Dark: Erotic Lesbian Tales of the
Supernatural, edited by Therese Szymanski
(Bella)—Sexual seduction by vampires and ghosts
seems the topic of nearly two dozen tales herein, with
lesbian sex mixed into the bloody brew.
Shadows of the Night: Queer Tales of the Uncanny and
Unusual, edited by Greg Herren (Southern Tier
Editions)—Gay and lesbian psychodrama plays out
in short stories involving vampires, murder, zombies,
revenge, and—for light book club
The Ghost of Carmen Miranda, and Other Spooky Gay and
Lesbian Tales, edited by Julie K. Trevelyan
and Scott Brassart (Alyson)—Spirits haunt boys
and girls in this collection of spooky stories, many
of which contain both chills and laughs.
Grave Passions: Tales of the Gay Supernatural, edited
by William J. Mann (Masquerade)—Ghosts,
werewolves, vampires, and even elves mix blood and
lots of sex in this anthology.
Firelands by Michael Jensen (Alyson)—Gay
frontiersmen face a hungry wendigo in this violent
novel that erases boundaries.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 12 min 32 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 21 min 26 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 2 hours 5 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 9 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM