Barbara Walters to Help Celebrate Anniversary of DADT's Death
BY Neal Broverman
August 29 2012 2:57 PM ET
Close to the one-year anniversary of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," journalist Barbara Walters will emcee an event honoring LGBT troops as well as repeal advocate Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Celebrating Our Heroes will take place September 18 aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum in New York. The event will be one of many hosted by Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and OutServe to commemorate the anniversary of "don't ask, don't tell's" repeal, which opened up military service to openly LGBT people (the exact anniverary of repeal is September 20).
"Having someone of Barbara Walters’ depth of world experience and caliber is a perfect match for this tribute to Admiral Mullen's courage in helping our nation live out its promise of equality for all,” Elizabeth Birch, former president of the Human Rights Campaign and a key organizer of Celebrating Our Heroes, said in a statement.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM