Barbara Walters to Help Celebrate Anniversary of DADT's Death
BY Neal Broverman
August 29 2012 3:57 PM ET
Close to the one-year anniversary of the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," journalist Barbara Walters will emcee an event honoring LGBT troops as well as repeal advocate Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Celebrating Our Heroes will take place September 18 aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum in New York. The event will be one of many hosted by Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and OutServe to commemorate the anniversary of "don't ask, don't tell's" repeal, which opened up military service to openly LGBT people (the exact anniverary of repeal is September 20).
"Having someone of Barbara Walters’ depth of world experience and caliber is a perfect match for this tribute to Admiral Mullen's courage in helping our nation live out its promise of equality for all,” Elizabeth Birch, former president of the Human Rights Campaign and a key organizer of Celebrating Our Heroes, said in a statement.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 22 min 49 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 19 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM