Rob Reiner: Marriage Equality Is Coming
BY Trudy Ring
April 10 2012 2:59 PM ET
Future generations will think it’s “ridiculous” that gay couples were ever denied the right to marry, says film director Rob Reiner, who has helped fund the court challenge to California’s anti–marriage equality Proposition 8.
Reiner made the remark Monday while appearing on Stephanie Miller’s nationally syndicated radio talk show, which is also simulcast on Current TV. Momentum, he said, is on the side of equality, with polls indicating that a majority of Americans support equal marriage rights, and some Republicans joining Democrats in the pro-equality camp, although there is still strong opposition in some quarters.
“By no stretch of the imagination have we won this,” Reiner said, noting that the Prop. 8 case is making its way through the courts and that fights over marriage equality are going on in several other states. But he predicted, “Years from now we’ll look back and say, ‘What was all that fuss about?’ People look back now and say, ‘You mean there was a time that women couldn’t vote? There was a time that blacks couldn’t vote or blacks couldn’t marry whites?’ I mean, we look at those things as ridiculous now, and we will look at this as being ridiculous, but right now we’re in the middle of a fight and we have to keep fighting. ... We’re going to win this, but we’ve got to keep our foot on the gas.”
Watch video of the interview here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 1 hour 2 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 1 hour 32 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 1 hour 59 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 2 hours 57 min ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 2 hours 59 min ago