Rob Reiner: Marriage Equality Is Coming
BY Trudy Ring
April 10 2012 1:59 PM ET
Future generations will think it’s “ridiculous” that gay couples were ever denied the right to marry, says film director Rob Reiner, who has helped fund the court challenge to California’s anti–marriage equality Proposition 8.
Reiner made the remark Monday while appearing on Stephanie Miller’s nationally syndicated radio talk show, which is also simulcast on Current TV. Momentum, he said, is on the side of equality, with polls indicating that a majority of Americans support equal marriage rights, and some Republicans joining Democrats in the pro-equality camp, although there is still strong opposition in some quarters.
“By no stretch of the imagination have we won this,” Reiner said, noting that the Prop. 8 case is making its way through the courts and that fights over marriage equality are going on in several other states. But he predicted, “Years from now we’ll look back and say, ‘What was all that fuss about?’ People look back now and say, ‘You mean there was a time that women couldn’t vote? There was a time that blacks couldn’t vote or blacks couldn’t marry whites?’ I mean, we look at those things as ridiculous now, and we will look at this as being ridiculous, but right now we’re in the middle of a fight and we have to keep fighting. ... We’re going to win this, but we’ve got to keep our foot on the gas.”
Watch video of the interview here.
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 min 50 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 20 min 24 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 37 min 6 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 38 min 53 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 40 min 3 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 10 min ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 41 min ago