Frank Gives Obama A- On Gay Issues
BY Michelle Garcia
April 29 2012 4:05 AM ET
Rep. Barney Frank said President Barack Obama has been performing well on gay rights issues, but takes umbrage with the president's lack of support for marriage equality.
Frank told The Hill that Obama's work to repeal "don' ask, don't tell," and his directive to the Department of Justice to stop arguing for the Defense of Marriage Act in court earns Obama an A-minus in his book. However, Frank also said Obama's silence in North Carolina last week on an upcoming vote on marriage equality was "not a surprise" but disappointing nonetheless.
"He hasn't yet said that he's for marriage [equality], so that's a problem," said Frank, who is retiring from office and planning to marry his partner by the end of the year.
Last month, President Obama made a statement against North Carolina's proposed ballot initiative that could ban marriage equality. A campaign spokesman issued a statement, expressing that "the President has long opposed divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples. Weeks later, his campaign issued a similar statement regarding another marriage ban ballot measure in Minnesota.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM