Frank Gives Obama A- On Gay Issues
BY Michelle Garcia
April 29 2012 4:05 AM ET
Rep. Barney Frank said President Barack Obama has been performing well on gay rights issues, but takes umbrage with the president's lack of support for marriage equality.
Frank told The Hill that Obama's work to repeal "don' ask, don't tell," and his directive to the Department of Justice to stop arguing for the Defense of Marriage Act in court earns Obama an A-minus in his book. However, Frank also said Obama's silence in North Carolina last week on an upcoming vote on marriage equality was "not a surprise" but disappointing nonetheless.
"He hasn't yet said that he's for marriage [equality], so that's a problem," said Frank, who is retiring from office and planning to marry his partner by the end of the year.
Last month, President Obama made a statement against North Carolina's proposed ballot initiative that could ban marriage equality. A campaign spokesman issued a statement, expressing that "the President has long opposed divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples. Weeks later, his campaign issued a similar statement regarding another marriage ban ballot measure in Minnesota.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 21 min 20 sec ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 21 min 20 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 21 min 30 sec ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM