Ohio AG: Dismiss Challenge to Marriage Equality Proposal
BY Trudy Ring
May 01 2012 8:16 PM ET
Ohioâ€™s attorney general has asked the state Supreme Court to dismiss a lawsuit by a group that wants to keep a proâ€“marriage equality proposal off the ballot.
Atty. Gen. Mike DeWine (pictured) last month approved the language of the measure, which would repeal a state constitutional amendment that bans same-sex marriage and replace it with an amendment permitting marriage between any two people regardless of gender. DeWine said that while he opposes same-sex marriage, his opinion has no bearing on the matter. He was simply performing the duties of his office in certifying that the wording is a â€śfair and truthful statement of a proposed constitutional amendmentâ€ť to go before voters, The Columbus Dispatch reports.
A group called the Ohio Campaign to Protect Marriage has filed suit asking the stateâ€™s high court to invalidate DeWineâ€™s certification, claiming the language â€śis not a summary and is not a fair and truthful statement.â€ť However, in a court document filed Friday, DeWine said the Ohio Supreme Court has no jurisdiction over the process, as state law leaves certification of ballot-measure language solely to the attorney general.
The approval by DeWine, followed by that of the Ohio Ballot Board, allows Freedom to Marry Ohio, the group sponsoring the pro-marriage amendment, to begin gathering petition signatures for the measure. It would take 385,253 valid signatures of registered Ohio voters to put it on the ballot in November 2013.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 53 min 16 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 1 hour 15 min ago
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM