Ohio AG: Dismiss Challenge to Marriage Equality Proposal
BY Trudy Ring
May 01 2012 8:16 PM ET
Ohio’s attorney general has asked the state Supreme Court to dismiss a lawsuit by a group that wants to keep a pro–marriage equality proposal off the ballot.
Atty. Gen. Mike DeWine (pictured) last month approved the language of the measure, which would repeal a state constitutional amendment that bans same-sex marriage and replace it with an amendment permitting marriage between any two people regardless of gender. DeWine said that while he opposes same-sex marriage, his opinion has no bearing on the matter. He was simply performing the duties of his office in certifying that the wording is a “fair and truthful statement of a proposed constitutional amendment” to go before voters, The Columbus Dispatch reports.
A group called the Ohio Campaign to Protect Marriage has filed suit asking the state’s high court to invalidate DeWine’s certification, claiming the language “is not a summary and is not a fair and truthful statement.” However, in a court document filed Friday, DeWine said the Ohio Supreme Court has no jurisdiction over the process, as state law leaves certification of ballot-measure language solely to the attorney general.
The approval by DeWine, followed by that of the Ohio Ballot Board, allows Freedom to Marry Ohio, the group sponsoring the pro-marriage amendment, to begin gathering petition signatures for the measure. It would take 385,253 valid signatures of registered Ohio voters to put it on the ballot in November 2013.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 57 min 19 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM