Largest Latino Group Backs Marriage Equality
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 23 2012 2:43 PM ET
Just days after LGBT groups joined activist groups of color to protest laws that penalize immigrants and people of color, the country’s largest Latino civil rights organization unanimously passed a resolution in support of marriage equality. Eric Rodriguez, vice president of public policy for the National Council of La Raza, told the Washington Blade that there was very little opposition to the vote, which came just weeks after the NAACP passed a similar measure.
Rodriguez told the Blade that La Raza members believe "that marriage equality is consistent with the mission—the civil rights mission—of our organization.” The group will announce the resolution formally during next month's annual convention in Las Vegas.
In addition to La Raza, the Blade notes that the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund president Thomas A. Saenz has backed same-sex marriage and the Texas chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens voted to support marriage equality recently as well, recent changes indicative of the growing support for same-sex marriage among Latinos.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM