Marriage Equality Embrace a Boon to Obama Campaign Funding
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2012 6:43 PM ET
Yet more evidence is in suggesting that President Obama’s embrace of marriage equality is not a political liability: His campaign saw a three-day spike in fund-raising after he announced he favors marriage rights for same-sex couples, NPR reports.
NPR notes that “anecdotal evidence suggested that the political position had a financial payoff,” but now that his campaign has filed its May fund-raising figures with the Federal Election Commission, there are hard numbers.
“In the three days leading up to the [May 9] announcement, he took in $3.4 million,” the network reports. “Afterward, he saw a three-day spike to $8.8 million in donations.”
“People who may have sat on the sidelines are now coming out in full force as a result of the president's and the administration's support for marriage equality,” gay philanthropist David Bohnett told NPR’s Ari Shapiro.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 28 min 58 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 44 min 51 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM