Maine Marriage Equality Campaign Reports $1 Million Raised
BY Julie Bolcer
June 30 2012 12:31 PM ET
The campaign working to reinstate the marriage equality law that Maine voters overturned three years ago said that it has raised more than $1 million, with most of the contributions coming from inside the state.
Mainers United for Marriage raised more than $500,000 of the total haul since the end of May, according to the Bangor Daily News. The campaign also said it has spoken to 100,000 voters about the ballot initiative this November.
By comparison, Protect Marriage Maine, which opposes the return of the marriage equality law, had raised about $11,000 by the end of May, but the results of a fund-raising drive in churches earlier this month have not been announced yet.
The Maine ballot initiative is one of four marriage equality questions expected to face voters across the country this fall, with other measures pending in Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota. The language of the question in Maine remains undetermined, where the secretary of state has proposed asking voters, “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
According to the Bangor Daily News, “Same-sex marriage supporters have said the question falls short and neglects a key mention of a provision in the proposed law that wouldn’t force clergy to marry same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage opponents have been more favorable toward the proposed wording and have said they want the question to ask voters whether they would like to ‘redefine’ marriage.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM