Maine Marriage Equality Campaign Reports $1 Million Raised
BY Julie Bolcer
June 30 2012 11:31 AM ET
The campaign working to reinstate the marriage equality law that Maine voters overturned three years ago said that it has raised more than $1 million, with most of the contributions coming from inside the state.
Mainers United for Marriage raised more than $500,000 of the total haul since the end of May, according to the Bangor Daily News. The campaign also said it has spoken to 100,000 voters about the ballot initiative this November.
By comparison, Protect Marriage Maine, which opposes the return of the marriage equality law, had raised about $11,000 by the end of May, but the results of a fund-raising drive in churches earlier this month have not been announced yet.
The Maine ballot initiative is one of four marriage equality questions expected to face voters across the country this fall, with other measures pending in Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota. The language of the question in Maine remains undetermined, where the secretary of state has proposed asking voters, “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
According to the Bangor Daily News, “Same-sex marriage supporters have said the question falls short and neglects a key mention of a provision in the proposed law that wouldn’t force clergy to marry same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage opponents have been more favorable toward the proposed wording and have said they want the question to ask voters whether they would like to ‘redefine’ marriage.”
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM