Maine Marriage Equality Campaign Reports $1 Million Raised
BY Julie Bolcer
June 30 2012 12:31 PM ET
The campaign working to reinstate the marriage equality law that Maine voters overturned three years ago said that it has raised more than $1 million, with most of the contributions coming from inside the state.
Mainers United for Marriage raised more than $500,000 of the total haul since the end of May, according to the Bangor Daily News. The campaign also said it has spoken to 100,000 voters about the ballot initiative this November.
By comparison, Protect Marriage Maine, which opposes the return of the marriage equality law, had raised about $11,000 by the end of May, but the results of a fund-raising drive in churches earlier this month have not been announced yet.
The Maine ballot initiative is one of four marriage equality questions expected to face voters across the country this fall, with other measures pending in Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota. The language of the question in Maine remains undetermined, where the secretary of state has proposed asking voters, “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
According to the Bangor Daily News, “Same-sex marriage supporters have said the question falls short and neglects a key mention of a provision in the proposed law that wouldn’t force clergy to marry same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage opponents have been more favorable toward the proposed wording and have said they want the question to ask voters whether they would like to ‘redefine’ marriage.”
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 48 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM