Maine Marriage Equality Campaign Reports $1 Million Raised
BY Julie Bolcer
June 30 2012 12:31 PM ET
The campaign working to reinstate the marriage equality law that Maine voters overturned three years ago said that it has raised more than $1 million, with most of the contributions coming from inside the state.
Mainers United for Marriage raised more than $500,000 of the total haul since the end of May, according to the Bangor Daily News. The campaign also said it has spoken to 100,000 voters about the ballot initiative this November.
By comparison, Protect Marriage Maine, which opposes the return of the marriage equality law, had raised about $11,000 by the end of May, but the results of a fund-raising drive in churches earlier this month have not been announced yet.
The Maine ballot initiative is one of four marriage equality questions expected to face voters across the country this fall, with other measures pending in Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota. The language of the question in Maine remains undetermined, where the secretary of state has proposed asking voters, “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
According to the Bangor Daily News, “Same-sex marriage supporters have said the question falls short and neglects a key mention of a provision in the proposed law that wouldn’t force clergy to marry same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage opponents have been more favorable toward the proposed wording and have said they want the question to ask voters whether they would like to ‘redefine’ marriage.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM