WATCH: Former White House Aide: Supreme Court Will Overturn DOMA
BY Trudy Ring
July 06 2012 6:21 PM ET
Richard Socarides, who once advised President Clinton on LGBT issues, thinks it’s likely the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn the Defense of Marriage Act.
President Obama has pressed the court for quick action in DOMA cases. Discussing the matter Thursday with Eliot Spitzer on Spitzer’s Current TV show, Socarides notes that the court has four progressive justices, plus Anthony Kennedy, “who’s written the two most important pro–gay rights decisions on the court so far.” Also, given the surprising ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts upholding President Obama’s health care reform law, he may vote to overturn the law as well, Socarides says.
The interview and a Web-exclusive extended conversation are available below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Trans Woman Dares Bible-Quoting Councilman to Stone Her to Death