WATCH: Former White House Aide: Supreme Court Will Overturn DOMA
BY Trudy Ring
July 06 2012 6:21 PM ET
Richard Socarides, who once advised President Clinton on LGBT issues, thinks it’s likely the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn the Defense of Marriage Act.
President Obama has pressed the court for quick action in DOMA cases. Discussing the matter Thursday with Eliot Spitzer on Spitzer’s Current TV show, Socarides notes that the court has four progressive justices, plus Anthony Kennedy, “who’s written the two most important pro–gay rights decisions on the court so far.” Also, given the surprising ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts upholding President Obama’s health care reform law, he may vote to overturn the law as well, Socarides says.
The interview and a Web-exclusive extended conversation are available below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 6 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 2 hours 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM