Court: A Civil Union in Vermont Is the Same as a Marriage in Massachusetts
BY Lucas Grindley
July 26 2012 8:11 PM ET
A civil union in Vermont is no less than a marriage in Massachusetts, according to a ruling by Massachusetts' highest court.
The determination came today as part of divorce case with a strange twist.
Todd J. Elia-Warnken entered into a civil union in 2003 in Vermont and never dissolved it, even when later getting married to Richard Elia in Massachusetts in 2005. Elia only found out about the civil union when he filed for a divorce in 2010.
With its ruling, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court decided the couple had never officially been married in the state. And so Elia-Warnken lost his argument that civil unions aren't equal to marriages.
"Because we conclude that a Vermont civil union is the equivalent of marriage, the issue is whether, pursuant to the polygamy statutes, the defendant's marriage to the plaintiff was void," wrote Justice Roderick Ireland for the court in a unanimous ruling. In the end, the court decided the marriage in Massachusetts was "void" under polygamy laws because "the plaintiff has a spouse in Vermont."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 3 min 43 sec ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 39 min 3 sec ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 53 min 16 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 54 min 47 sec ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 2 hours 3 min ago
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 2 hours 57 min ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM