Democrats Propose Full Marriage Backing, DOMA Repeal for Platform
BY Michelle Garcia
August 09 2012 6:46 PM ET
A statement of support for marriage equality will be subject to approval by the Democratic Platform Committee meeting this weekend.
The Democrats' Drafting Committee released the proposed language to Buzzfeed Thursday. The draft language, expresses the party's support for marriage equality, while also supporting the "freedom of churches and religious entities to decide how to administer marriage as a religious sacrament without government interference."
The drafting committee's message also condemns federal and state constitutional amendments to limit the rights of same-sex couples. It also says the party will commit to a full repeal of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, and the passage of the Respect for Marriage Act.
“Marriage equality has quickly become a mainstream American value and it’s a sign of the times that the Democratic Party has included language affirming the ability of gays and lesbians to marry in its draft platform," Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin said in a statement. We encourage the Platform Committee and the delegates to the convention to adopt this strong statement that all loving and committed American families deserve equal treatment.”
The draft language corroborates Rep. Barney Frank's statements in July that full support for marriage equality would be in the party platform.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM