Marriage Equality Bill Advances in Tasmania
BY Julie Bolcer
August 30 2012 10:39 AM ET
Tasmania moved one step closer to becoming the first Australian state to legalize same-sex marriage Thursday when the state’s lower house passed legislation, becoming the first chamber of a Parliament in the country to approve such a measure.
The bill, cosponsored by Labor premier Lara Giddings and Greens leader Nick McKim, passed by 13 votes to 11, according to The Age. When Parliament returns next month, the bill will move to the upper house, where passage looks uncertain, with 13 independent members out of 15.
Tasmania, which was the last Australian state to decriminalize homosexuality in 1997, could become the first to legalize same-sex marriage. Efforts are also under way in South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory. A bill expected to receive a vote in the federal Parliament later this year appears unlikely to pass, with Prime Minister Julia Gillard of the Labor Party and the coalition government opposed.
Marriage equality advocate Alex Greenwich hailed the Tasmanian vote as an example of what states can do in spite of the federal challenge.
''If Federal Parliament fails to deliver it, we now know this will happen state by state and territory by territory,'' he said, The Age reported.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM