Photo of Two Women Kissing Before French Protestors Goes Viral
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2012 1:27 PM ET
A photograph of two women kissing in front of a group of antigay protestors in Marseille, France, is lighting up the Twitterverse and going viral.
On Tuesday, demonstrators opposed to a bill that would legalize marriage equality gathered in 75 French cities to protest the legislation, which would also legalize same-sex adoption, reports Huffington Post. In an effort to demonstrate their support and solidarity with French LGBT people, two teenagers embraced in a kiss directly in front of the antigay protestors, who looked on, aghast. The moment was captured on camera by Agence France Presse photographer Gérard Julien.
According to French gay magazine Têtu, both women are straight, but wanted to take a simple, meaningful stand in favor of equality. Julia, 17, and Auriane, 19, told the magazine the kiss was spontaneous, and clearly caught the protestors off-guard, evidenced by the open-mouthed expressions visible on several background faces.
"While we were kissing, they were screaming, 'You're disgusting! You are not beautiful!" Julia told Têtu (text of this quote has been translated from French). Julia also said her mother told her she was proud of her daughter for standing up for her convictions.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 3 min 39 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 48 min 39 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 59 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 2 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 46 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 53 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM