Photo of Two Women Kissing Before French Protestors Goes Viral
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2012 12:27 PM ET
A photograph of two women kissing in front of a group of antigay protestors in Marseille, France, is lighting up the Twitterverse and going viral.
On Tuesday, demonstrators opposed to a bill that would legalize marriage equality gathered in 75 French cities to protest the legislation, which would also legalize same-sex adoption, reports Huffington Post. In an effort to demonstrate their support and solidarity with French LGBT people, two teenagers embraced in a kiss directly in front of the antigay protestors, who looked on, aghast. The moment was captured on camera by Agence France Presse photographer Gérard Julien.
According to French gay magazine Têtu, both women are straight, but wanted to take a simple, meaningful stand in favor of equality. Julia, 17, and Auriane, 19, told the magazine the kiss was spontaneous, and clearly caught the protestors off-guard, evidenced by the open-mouthed expressions visible on several background faces.
"While we were kissing, they were screaming, 'You're disgusting! You are not beautiful!" Julia told Têtu (text of this quote has been translated from French). Julia also said her mother told her she was proud of her daughter for standing up for her convictions.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 7 min 40 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 33 min 28 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 38 min 31 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 1 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 9 min ago