Well-Known Washington Republican Endorses Marriage Equality for His State
BY Lucas Grindley
November 01 2012 5:39 PM ET
One of Washington State's best-known Republican politicians, Dan Evans, is backing the marriage equality law that is up for a popular vote next week.
“As a Republican, I believe strongly in individual liberty and freedom,” said Evans in a statement distributed by Washington United for Marriage. “So, for me, approving Referendum 74, supporting our bipartisan marriage law, and giving everyone the freedom to marry the person they love, just seems right and reflects the fundamental value of fairness that we treasure here in Washington.”
Evans should be well-known to Washington voters of a certain generation. He served three terms as governor of the state, from 1965 until 1977. He followed that up in 1983 with a term as a U.S. senator.
Evans graced the cover of Time magazine as the face of the Republican Party in 1968 because he was set to give the coveted keynote speech during the party's convention.
Washington voters must decide on Election Day whether to keep in place a marriage equality law passed by the legislature and signed by the governor. If they do, same-sex couples would soon be able to marry.
Read our by-the-numbers look at marriage equality's chances at the ballot box.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 11 min 48 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 11 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM