Supreme Court Puts Off Action on Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
November 30 2012 4:04 PM ET
Expectations of Supreme Court action on key marriage equality cases will have to wait until this Monday or possibly longer, as the justices finished their conference Friday without indicating their plans for the challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8.
The court issued its order list granting writs of certiorari in two cases, neither of which included the 10 petitions related to marriage equality, according to SCOTUSblog. The court could make its plans known on Monday, but it could also take more time, with the court scheduled to hold another private conference next Friday.
“The next opportunity for the Court to issue orders will be at 9:30 a.m. Monday,” reports SCOTUSblog. “Nothing has ruled out the possibility that some actions on same-sex marriage could be announced at that time, although there is no indication that that will occur. It may be that the Court needs more time to decide what it wants to do next on any of the cases.”
The petitions under consideration involve multiple challenges to DOMA, the 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. The court has also been asked to consider the lawsuit against California's Proposition 8 and a case involving the Arizona law that ended domestic-partner benefits for state employees.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM