Supreme Court Puts Off Action on Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
November 30 2012 5:04 PM ET
Expectations of Supreme Court action on key marriage equality cases will have to wait until this Monday or possibly longer, as the justices finished their conference Friday without indicating their plans for the challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8.
The court issued its order list granting writs of certiorari in two cases, neither of which included the 10 petitions related to marriage equality, according to SCOTUSblog. The court could make its plans known on Monday, but it could also take more time, with the court scheduled to hold another private conference next Friday.
“The next opportunity for the Court to issue orders will be at 9:30 a.m. Monday,” reports SCOTUSblog. “Nothing has ruled out the possibility that some actions on same-sex marriage could be announced at that time, although there is no indication that that will occur. It may be that the Court needs more time to decide what it wants to do next on any of the cases.”
The petitions under consideration involve multiple challenges to DOMA, the 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. The court has also been asked to consider the lawsuit against California's Proposition 8 and a case involving the Arizona law that ended domestic-partner benefits for state employees.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 26 min 54 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 11 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 29 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 42 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 hours 2 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 21 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 29 min ago