Supreme Court Puts Off Action on Marriage Cases
BY Julie Bolcer
November 30 2012 5:04 PM ET
Expectations of Supreme Court action on key marriage equality cases will have to wait until this Monday or possibly longer, as the justices finished their conference Friday without indicating their plans for the challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8.
The court issued its order list granting writs of certiorari in two cases, neither of which included the 10 petitions related to marriage equality, according to SCOTUSblog. The court could make its plans known on Monday, but it could also take more time, with the court scheduled to hold another private conference next Friday.
“The next opportunity for the Court to issue orders will be at 9:30 a.m. Monday,” reports SCOTUSblog. “Nothing has ruled out the possibility that some actions on same-sex marriage could be announced at that time, although there is no indication that that will occur. It may be that the Court needs more time to decide what it wants to do next on any of the cases.”
The petitions under consideration involve multiple challenges to DOMA, the 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. The court has also been asked to consider the lawsuit against California's Proposition 8 and a case involving the Arizona law that ended domestic-partner benefits for state employees.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM