WATCH: Obama, Cheney, Powell Support Marriage Equality in New Ad
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 20 2013 1:09 PM ET
A coalition supporting the freedom to marry has launched a $1 million campaign highlighting endorsements from leaders across the political spectrum, including President Obama and several high-profile former Republican leaders.
The Respect for Marriage Coalition, comprised of more than 80 LGBT civil rights and business organizations, today launched its first television ad, featuring supportive statements on marriage equality from Obama, former Vice President Dick Cheney, former First Lady Laura Bush, and former Secretary of Defense Colin Powell, reports Buzzfeed.
"None of us would want to be told we can't marry the person we love," says the ad, before launching into clips demonstrating the growing and bipartisan support for marriage equality.
Watch the video below.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 3 min 26 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 6 min 6 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 17 min 55 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 21 min 27 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 24 min 1 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 26 min 36 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: Jennifer Lawrence Buxom and Blue for X-Men 27 min 42 sec ago