WATCH: Obama, Cheney, Powell Support Marriage Equality in New Ad
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 20 2013 12:09 PM ET
A coalition supporting the freedom to marry has launched a $1 million campaign highlighting endorsements from leaders across the political spectrum, including President Obama and several high-profile former Republican leaders.
The Respect for Marriage Coalition, comprised of more than 80 LGBT civil rights and business organizations, today launched its first television ad, featuring supportive statements on marriage equality from Obama, former Vice President Dick Cheney, former First Lady Laura Bush, and former Secretary of Defense Colin Powell, reports Buzzfeed.
"None of us would want to be told we can't marry the person we love," says the ad, before launching into clips demonstrating the growing and bipartisan support for marriage equality.
Watch the video below.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM