Florist Tells Longtime Gay Customer That Jesus Won't Let Her Do His Wedding
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 2:10 PM ET
A newly engaged man in Washington, where marriage equality is now law, just discovered his longtime florist refuses to supply flowers for his wedding.
The owner of Arlene's Flowers, Barronelle Stuzman, remembers how she broke the news to Robert Ingersoll, her customer of more than nine years. "I just took his hands, and I said, I'm sorry, I can't do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ," she told NBC's KNDU News.
Stuzman says some customers have refused to use her Richland, Washington shop in the future, while still others have thanked her and pledged to shop.
Watch the KNDU interview with both Ingersoll and Stuzman below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 27 min 39 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 38 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 41 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 25 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 32 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM