Florist Tells Longtime Gay Customer That Jesus Won't Let Her Do His Wedding
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 2:10 PM ET
A newly engaged man in Washington, where marriage equality is now law, just discovered his longtime florist refuses to supply flowers for his wedding.
The owner of Arlene's Flowers, Barronelle Stuzman, remembers how she broke the news to Robert Ingersoll, her customer of more than nine years. "I just took his hands, and I said, I'm sorry, I can't do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ," she told NBC's KNDU News.
Stuzman says some customers have refused to use her Richland, Washington shop in the future, while still others have thanked her and pledged to shop.
Watch the KNDU interview with both Ingersoll and Stuzman below.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback
- 12 Celebrities Who Lovingly Embrace Their LGBT Children