Dan Savage Says Heterosexual People Should be 'Offended' Over Antigay Marriage Equality Arguments
BY Jase Peeples
March 31 2013 2:03 PM ET
During a recent Q&A at Southwestern University, columnist and It Gets Better Project co-founder Dan Savage humorously pointed out a few of the reasons why heterosexual people should be offended over the illogical arguments of those supporting the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8.
“Literally, what they are arguing in the DOMA case right now before the Supreme Court is that we need to reserve marriage rights for straight people because only straight people get pregnant by accident,” Savage said. “I don’t understand why straight people aren’t offended when people who claim to speak for traditional marriage… go to court and say, ‘we straight people are so irresponsible and heartless that if we don’t have the inducements of a wedding ceremony and a delicious cake, we will abandon our children by the side of the road.’ This is the last argument that they have – that straight people suck.”
See more from Savage’s appearance at Southwestern University below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM