Terry McAuliffe Backs Marriage Equality, Amps Up Contrast in Virginia Governor's Race
BY Lucas Grindley
April 07 2013 3:37 PM ET
If Virginia's gubernatorial race comes down to the two favorites — Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Ken Cuccinelli — it will be a contest of two totally different ideas on LGBT rights.
McAuliffe made clear on Saturday during a fundraiser for Equality Virginia that he supports marriage equality.
“We’ve got to make sure that Virginia is open and welcoming to everybody,” McAuliffe said, according to The Richmond Times-Dispatch. The former chairman of the Democratic Party and strategist for Bill and Hillary Clinton told attendees that the debate about repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy "really enlightened me."
Meanwhile, Cuccinelli most recently made headlines for challenging the judiciary's ruling that anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional. He's fought anti-discrimination measures that would protect gays and lesbians who want to adopt and even sought repeal of discrimination protections for employees of the state university system.
Correction: Terry McAuliffe endorsed marriage equality for the first time in Feburary during a Google chat, according to the Washington Blade.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 24 min 19 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM