Former Republican Gov. Charlie Crist Supports Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 09 2013 1:48 PM ET
In a Facebook post Wednesday, former Republican Florida governor Charlie Crist formally came out in support of marriage equality. Although Crist served six years as the Republican governor, he ran for a Senate seat as an independent, and last December he formally joined the Democratic Party, according to The New York Times.
Commending passage of marriage equality legislation in Delaware and Rhode Island, Crist fell in line with the Democratic Party's platform supporting marriage equality with a post on his official Facebook page Wednesday.
"I most certainly support marriage equality in Florida," wrote Crist, "and look forward to the day that it happens here." The post has garnered more than 1,000 likes.
But the Tampa Bay Tribune notes that Crist supported a statewide ban on same-sex marriage in 2006 during the Republican gubernatorial primary. In that campaign Crist sent out mailers touting his support for "traditional marriage," the Tribune reports. Calling Crist a likely Democratic gubernatorial candidate, the Tribune asserted that the former Republican "still has some explaining to do about his position" to his new Democratic colleagues, whom he will address in Hillsborough County Saturday night.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 1 hour 25 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM