Minnesota Gov. Signs Marriage Equality Into Law
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 14 2013 2:35 PM ET
On the front steps of the state capitol in St. Paul, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton signed a marriage equality bill into law Tuesday at 5 p.m. Central time, just one day after the state House approved the legislation with one Republican joining the entire Democratic caucus in supporting the bill.
When same-sex couples in Minnesota begin marrying August 1, Minnesota will officially become the 12th state — in addition to Washington, D.C. — in the U.S. to enact marriage equality. With the governor's signature, Minnesota also becomes the first Midwestern state to legalize same-sex marriage through the legislature, since marriage equality came to Iowa as the result of a unanimous ruling by the state Supreme Court in 2009.
The Minnesota House of Representatives approved House File 1054, the marriage equality bill, by a bipartisan vote of 75-59 last Thursday. Four House Republicans joined Democrats voting in favor of the bill.
In November 2012, Minnesota voters rejected a proposed state constitutional amendment that would have banned marriage for same-sex couples, only the second time an electorate had rejected such an antigay proposal.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM