Minnesota Gov. Signs Marriage Equality Into Law
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 14 2013 3:35 PM ET
On the front steps of the state capitol in St. Paul, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton signed a marriage equality bill into law Tuesday at 5 p.m. Central time, just one day after the state House approved the legislation with one Republican joining the entire Democratic caucus in supporting the bill.
When same-sex couples in Minnesota begin marrying August 1, Minnesota will officially become the 12th state — in addition to Washington, D.C. — in the U.S. to enact marriage equality. With the governor's signature, Minnesota also becomes the first Midwestern state to legalize same-sex marriage through the legislature, since marriage equality came to Iowa as the result of a unanimous ruling by the state Supreme Court in 2009.
The Minnesota House of Representatives approved House File 1054, the marriage equality bill, by a bipartisan vote of 75-59 last Thursday. Four House Republicans joined Democrats voting in favor of the bill.
In November 2012, Minnesota voters rejected a proposed state constitutional amendment that would have banned marriage for same-sex couples, only the second time an electorate had rejected such an antigay proposal.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 11 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 30 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM