No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 17 2013 10:58 AM ET
It was a decision day at the Supreme Court today, but not the one LGBT activists are anxiously awaiting.
The U.S. Supreme Court did not issue a ruling on either of two cases related to same-sex marriage today. In March, the Court heard Hollingsworth v. Perry, the Proposition 8 case, and U.S. v. Windsor, regarding the federal Defense of Marriage Act, and is expected to rule on both cases this month.
The next batch of rulings will be issued at 10 a.m. Eastern on Thursday, according to SCOTUSBlog, followed by another set of rulings on Monday. As of now, that's the last decision day scheduled, but more could be added to the calendar.
The justices handed down five decisions in other cases this morning, according to SCOTUSBlog. Reporters inside the court, liveblogging at SCOTUSBlog, said it was "very likely" that the DOMA and Prop. 8 decisions will be released together, likely on the last day of the term. There are now 14 cases in which the court has yet to rule, with approximately two weeks left in the court's term. SCOTUSBlog expects to see rulings on four to five cases issued on each Decision Day.
Because the marriage equality cases were argued in late March, SCOTUSBlog writers anticipate that rulings in those likely contentious cases will be announced at the conclusion of the court's term in late June or even in early July. No one outside the court — including the attorneys who argued their cases before the nine Supreme Court justices — knows for certain when the rulings will come down.
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS What Do You Do When You Find Out You Have HIV? March 12 2014 7:06 PM