Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative
BY Michelle Garcia
June 18 2013 3:11 PM ET
A campaign was launched Monday to repeal Arizona's ban on same-sex marriage through a ballot initiative in 2014, years after it was approved by 56% of the state's voters in 2008.
The of Equal Marriage Arizona are working to gather 259,213 signatures to get their proposal to define marriage as a union between two adults, as opposed to one man and one woman, on next year's ballot, according to the The Arizona Republic.
"The attitudes of this state, of the people of this state, have changed a lot," marriage advocate and business owner Warren Meyer told the Associated Press. "We believe that Arizonans are ready for equal marriage."
Meyer and Log Cabin Republican chairwoman Erin Ogletree Simpson officially filed papers to launch the campaign on Monday with the Arizona Secretary of State's Office. They plan to wait for the U.S. Supreme Court to rule on its two marriage equality cases, concerning the Defense of Marriage Act and California's Proposition 8, before launching their signature campaign.
Meyer said he anticipates a campaign with costs "in the millions" to spread the word and get people to sign the petition, and then to sway voters.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Media Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 14 min 3 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 17 min 24 sec ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 44 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 46 min 28 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 8, 'Merchandise' 57 min 59 sec ago
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 1 hour 12 min ago